Re: [foxboro] Fiber optic conectors and wavelengths

  • From: "Hicks, Gaylon F." <gfhicks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 02:27:55 -0600

The most common fiber connectors now are probably the SC and ST type
connectors, which the Foxboro mesh (of course) doesn't use.  In all
fairness, the larger SC/ST connectors seem to be losing ground to the
new smaller connectors that the mesh equipment uses, which is typically
LC (which is an SC barrel in a smaller body) and MTRJ, both of which are
"miniture" style connectors.  MTRJ connectors are supposed to be a
nightmare to make up in the field, and I would recommend buying pre-made
jumpers for these applications if possible.  As for wavelenghts, most of
the available mesh equipment is Multimode (850 to 1300 nm) fiber, but
for long distances you can use Single Mode (typically 1300 to 1550nm).
The later Enterasys switches have available both a multimode and single
mode Gigabit module.

What we have been pulling for all fiber optic cables here lately has
been a special made cable that has 12 multimode fibers and 6 single mode
fibers in a common overall jacket.  We are just using the multimode now,
but if (when) the end devices migrate to single mode, we will have cable
in place.  If you just cruise the Source of All Knowledge (yahoo), you
can find a ton of information on fiber and connectors.

Good luck,
Gaylon Hicks