Re: [foxboro] DM on IA v8.2

  • From: Brian Bates <batesb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:49:12 -0400

Jim, Tom.

Thanks for your response, even it was not what I want to hear.

 I agree there is an improvement in display building & configuration with
FV, and for a greenfield project, it would be better than DM. if it did not
still have the DST issue.

From what I understand, Foxboro has not resolved the problem of *ALL* of
the FV AW/WP's on your CLAN locking up when you set the clock back in the
fall.  FoxView has been out for years, and as far as I know they have not
corrected this MAJOR flaw.
If there is a fix for this, please let me know, as we do have one node with
FV, and the change back to standard time is coming up soon.

We have two CLANs at this site with dozens of AW/WP's on each CLAN, spread
over a large physical area.  We cannot have all of the operator terminals
simultaneously lockup until somebody can reboot (or restart FV) on each box
every autumn.

If we did switch to FV, not only would we have to buy the licenses, convert
the graphics (some of our nodes have over 1000 custom displays), train the
maintenance people, and convince the operators that these are better
displays than the ones that they are familiar with.
I understand that 51B and 51D AW's cannot run FV well due to CPU loading
and HDD space issues (AMI* was enough to bog some boxes down).

If this is true then we would have to have a mixture of FV and DM in the
same control room.  I can just imagine what operators would say to that
option.

In my opinion, disadvantages of FV outweigh the benefits.

...But now it appears that if you want to use the latest IA HW, you must
use the latest SW, and now you must use FV.

It looks like the direction Tom is taking is the best route.  Use the new
units only as a boot host, and not as a operator AW.

What do the rest of the DM users think about this issue?

      -Regards, Brian Bates.
            Bowater Canadian Forest Products Inc.
            Thunder Bay ON