Re: [foxboro] Alarms On Served Terminals

  • From: <duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:49:58 -0500

Ken,

While we don't have P91 Server for Windows, we do use the remote display
capability of the Solaris platform (without having to run a special box
just to remotely distribute the DMs/FVs, imagine that!) and use
plain-jane Dell XP PCs on the operator console to display the remote DM
screens via Hummingbird Exceed. The alarm display and response should be
no different be it on the Solaris or Windows platform.

To answer your questions:

> do you get audible alarming through these terminals

No.

>If you don't get audibles, what do you use for audibles in the
>control room and how do you silence?

We configure a contact output to drive an external horn through horn.cfg
(/usr/fox/alarms/horn.cfg). The relevant lines include:

5 Extsys        None
6 Extpri1       C2101A:PLB210112.IFL_12
7 Extpri2       C2101A:PLB210112.IFL_12
8 Extpri3       C2101A:PLB210112.IFL_12
9 Extpri4       C2101A:PLB210112.IFL_12
10 Extpri5      None

In the PLB ladder, IFL_12 simply drives a contact output like this:

 IFL_12                                                         CO_12
--| |------------------------------------------------------------( )--
 21AW01                                                         UY
 EXTHORN                                                        12345

So any time a priority 1-4 alarm comes in, the AA system triggers the
external horn via the horn.cfg. Sys alarms and priority 5 alarms do not
sound the horn.

The horn is silenced by clicking on the Alarm button on the top menu bar
in the DM screen, which also brings the CAD display to the front so the
operator can see the active alarm.

(George Bocancea wrote of the desire to have a "silence horn" key on the
keyboard, and I would like to have that, too, instead of having to use
the mouse. It's just not high enough of a priority to do anything about
it. But if somebody has done this, especially remapping a function key
to silence the horn for use through an X emulator like Exceed, I'd like
to steal your work.)

Duc

--=20
Duc M. Do