Re: [foxboro] Alarms

  • From: Kevin Fitzgerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:14:01 +0900

How many CBLAN nodes do you have, and in what configuration?  Are you using
all fiber (after copper-fiber converters)?  Do you have passive taps, and if
so are they the isolated ones?  What image are the CBLAN modules running -
and are they all running the same image?  Do a "what" on the
/usr/fox/sp/files/OS1LI file in each host and see the image revision near
the top.
How frequent are these failures?  You may have a hardware problem, but most
of these errors can be caused by noise and/or loading also.

Copper CBLANs in my experience are very sensitive to installation issues.
I've seen CBLAN faults increase after checking and tightening electrical
connections (even if by Foxboro field service engineers).  Don't just
tighten - measure resistance and ground performance.  Measure to ensure that
you have no ground loops in the copper CBLAN.  Measure your dB loss on each
of the fibers end to end.

How heavy is the CBLAN loading?  If you have a recent CBLAN image check your
counters - on average, what are your PDUS30 counters reading (don't
historize these, just sample them with omget or omgetimp?  Sample the rest
of the counters in each of your CBLAN modules once and then again 10 and 60
minutes later and see what kind of error messages you are getting - these
can help determine what kind of problems you are having on your LAN.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell