[foxboro] System Counter Monitoring - OSPM

  • From: "Sieling, Marcel" <Marcel.Sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:35:02 -0400

Hi list,

Nick wrote:
>I am looking for suggestions on how to monitor all those system counters
>that exist under the PERF tab on the System Management display.

There is an answer to this requirement:

<advertising>
IPS Germany has developed a product called "Online System Performance
Measurement" (OSPM). OSPM is available for Windows and Unix platforms and
consists of a server and a client part. The server is based on a MySQL database
and an Apache Webserver including a PHP interpreter, the client consists of a
collector application which runs as a daemon without human interface in the
background. The OSPM collector is custom written and installs anywhere in the
system. It's configured with editing a simple ASCII file. You need at least one
OSPM collector per Nodebus, for a Mesh system there can be one or more
collectors. Collectors can optionally be configured to be redundant to support
interruption-free reporting even if a collector-hosting box needs to be
rebooted.

The system stores data which is being sent by the collectors into the database
and offers graphical and numerical reports and alarm lists. The thresholds for
the alarms are configurable. The system features some nice overview displays.
All is presented as a standard website, which can be monitored with any
standard webbrowser which has access to the OSPM server over the network. The
designed to add to an existing I/A installation without damaging it. The most
interesting aspects of OSPM are statistics, charts of counters and traffic
indicators over time and of course the alerts, which can be fully customized.

The product has been installed on several sites in Germany recently and runs
fine, although it's not fully polished to support nice and easy setup wizards
as well as nice and proper documentation. We are currently in the process of
finalizing german and english PSS sheets. Operating it requires some system
knowledge and interpreting the system counters is not a self explaining thing.
However if someone is already familiar with the SMDH counters and with
networking in general, OSPM offers a whole range of new maintenance options and
delivers a spectacular insight to the I/A system and often allows to detect
areas of problem long before the overall system functionality is impacted.

Pricing is not definded yet as fas as I know, I assume it is a license price
per server not regarding the number of clients or workstations to be monitored,
which is in the lower 5-digit Euro area, not including installation and
introduction hours (which is usually one to two days per system working time
plus travel from germany and accomodation). The price basically covers the
creation of the OSPM application, there is no license cost imposed for standard
products, as all deliverables (Apache, MySQL, PHP etc.) are carefully selected
to be free for commercial use. There is a demo version available which runs for
two weeks and then stops collecting. However collected data is being kept for
later examination.

If someone is interested in  more information just drop me a line off list and
I'll be glad to distribute information as soon as I have it available (which is
more in the area of weeks or months rather than days). ;-)
</advertising>

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Marcel Sieling
Senior Application Consultant

Invensys Systems GmbH
Emanuel-Leutze-Str. 11
D-40547 Düsseldorf
Germany
T +49 211 5966302
M +49 163 5966302
F +49 163 99 5966302
E  marcel.sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxx <-new!
iom.invensys.com

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London,
SW1E 5BF (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities
within the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.
You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 7821 3848 or e-mail
inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be
subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates).