[foxboro] RES: alarm inhibiting vs. alarm disabling - process summary reporter

  • From: "Ricardo Abech" <abech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:43:45 -0200

Dear Corey,

The only feasible solution I see without making use of SEQ blocks is using
an external program to do it (I had the same issues of CP loading with SEQ
blocks). I implemented something similar in my old company using an external
program and worked fine. The application is based on:

- CALC blocks to detect the abnormal situations (the number of CALC block
will depend on the number of abnormal situations you want to deal with). I
used BO01 to BO08 where FALSE means NORMAL and TRUE means ABNORMAL.

- 1 IND block for WATCHDOG (if for some reason the program stops running
then the IND block runs to return all original block groups). This will be
used just in case of program failure (AW freezing or rebooting is a good
example of a problem that can happen).

- 1 CSV file containing 4 columns for each CBP that will have the group
changed:
        1st column - CBP of condition (the CALC block output)
        2nd column - CBP of the BLOCK that will have its GROUP changed
        3rd column - Normal Group Number
        4th column - Abnormal Group Number

Ex .csv file:

COMPOUND:CALC1.BO01,COMPOUND:AIN1.BAG,1,2
COMPOUND:CALC1.BO02,COMPOUND:AIN2.BAG,1,2
COMPOUND:CALC1.BO03,COMPOUND:AIN3.BAG,1,2

The external program runs on AW and reads the CALC outputs, compare with the
*.csv file and write the results back to DCS. I ran the program each 1
minute. If for some reason the program stops then the IND block will be
flagged and all Groups will be returned to ORIGINAL state.

To exchange the information with the DCS I used the legacy tools (omsetimp,
omgetimp) but OPC worked fine too (when I developed the application we only
had Unix stations).

You can use the same idea to change bitmasks values in station blocks or the
GR* parameters in compounds.

I understand that this is not the optimal solution and have some flaws, but
still better that having alarm flooding on every Plant upset.

Hope this help,

Regards,

Ricardo P. Abech
Chief Software Architect