[foxboro] Alarm management

  • From: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:59:34 +0200

We're starting an alarm management project soon, probably based on ISA 18
or EEMUA
By the time the project reaches implementation we will probably be an all
windows 8.4 I/A site (now we have mesh, unix&Windows 8.4)

Analyzing the alarms is no problem, we have Foxray, which is a great help.
Cleaning up the alarms and re-assigning priorities is no problem either.

We're faced with a few items on which we need some more info.

First problem:

Process engineering would like to tie some kind of "what to do" -
flowcharts or text to an alarmpage button. So hitting an "alarm action"
button when a certain alarm is selected should produce a flowchart or
plain text display related to the comp:block. I can figure out how to call
a text file or a flowchart display related to a certain comp:block, but I
can't imagine us creating seperate text files or displays for each block
that has an alarm configured. Any one using this approach and how did you
configure it? Did you go for 3th party software or did you use the I/A
functions?

Second problem:

Now we use priority 5 for stuff that's not considered as an alarm, but
does need some operator attention. These items appear on the alarm page,
(which is always up)  so the operator is notified.

In the new approach they won't be considered as alarms anymore, Therefore
they're not supposed to appear on the alarm page,  but we still need some
way of informing the operator these items need some attention.
Does anyone uses something like this and how did you configure it?

Thanks & Rgds,

Dirk