[familyschool] Re: [familyschool] Board Meeting today

  • From: Starshyne 777 <starshyne777@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 15:02:38 +0000

Hi all,

I attended, but didn’t take written notes… so sorry if this is a bit
incomplete…. there were a few other parents who attended or others in the know
(teachers) who may also be on this list and feel to correct me or add in…

The before-school program will continue this year - the financial structure of
the program (school administered or teacher administered) is still in
discussion.

The board/policy committee has been working hard on developing a new way
evaluate teachers. They hope to have the forms and process in place to bring to
the Aug. Board meeting to then have training with the teachers at the beginning
of the school year.

The Board has hired an Interim ED, Stan Hacker, whom they are very excited
about due to him being passionate about his work and his high value of
communication. He would like to meet with ALL the stakeholders at Southside to
hear their concerns and to offer him direction.  He has a reported history of
seeking out and meeting literally everyone in one of the last schools he was
the interim. He also was one of the only candidates who had an expressed
interest in being an interim and not long term ED…. so he seemed stronger on
what is truly needed out of an INTERIM. He starts on Monday. The board said
they will be sending out an email introducing him and Stan will be sending one
out as well…

There was discussion about his contract as interim… to either hire him as an
employee versus as an independent contractor. In a very small nutshell… hiring
him as an independent contractor would save money, but legally would have less
control over his work. The board decided to move forward with a 3mnth employee
contract and revisit the independent contractor idea at the time (after they
had a chance to visit with the board’s attorney).

There was discussion about holding the interim ED accountable and on time.
There will be the formation of an executive committee. Currently with the
bylaws… only Ben could serve on this committee. Since there was no vice chair….
in the meeting they nominated and subsequently voted for Rachel to be the vice
chair and she will now subsequently serve on the executive committee. The
executive committee will be meeting with Stan every 2wks to check in on his
work and progress. Also Ben said on a couple of occasions in the meeting that
he has already planned to meet with Stan weekly to help him in getting to know
the school, community and culture.

There was discussion around an immediate “To-do list” for Stan. The list was
presented at the meeting and I am guessing should be available on the website
soon?

The school will be hiring a part-time middle school math teacher and full time
1st-3rd grade teacher… also need for a part-time (8hrs/wk) ELL teacher.

There is still uncertainty if they will hire for office staff. They are
considering redesigning the school director and office secretary role… to
either combine or rearrange duties. As well, they are considering whether
fundraising would be the role of the ED and how rearranging all of these admin
duties would look in determining the hiring needs.

Finally, the board is considering the formation of a community action
committee. They were not sure if it would be called that or what it would be
called… but wanted some more formal mechanism in place for community
involvement and input. They reported that they did receive notice from the
community about wanting to send out an announcement about the formation of a
“PTO”… but have not yet received the email from Clemma to be sent out to the
community.  The “PTO” and board committee would be two separate entities. A
suggestion was made to hold regular (every 2 or 3mnths) community
forum/potlucks. It was then suggested that this be the charge of the developing
“PTO”. Also note I put “PTO” in quotation marks because I know as a community
we were trying to find a more accurate descriptive name, but wanted to make
sure everyone knew what I was referring to here. Also the board said that they
cannot send out emails for the “PTO” aside the intial outreach one(s). The
“PTO” would have to develop their own email list through parents who expressed
an interest in being involved.

Also I came away from the meeting feeling very much in awe of the amount of
work the remaining board members are doing. There is ALOT of volunteer hours
they are doing with the overall board and committees (i.e. Rachel willing
jumped in to be on the newly formed executive committee, Ben taking the
initiative to fully on-board Stan one-to-one).

I would like to suggest that at the next board meeting we bring them an
appreciation breakfast.

There was discussion about the next board meeting in Aug. But I missed the date
and time?

Christine

Sent from Windows Mail