Re: problem viewing some email imported into exchange 2003

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:45:09 -0800

I am about to lose my marbles, here. I've tried everything I can think of and
the various suggestions on several lists and newsgroups and no joy. Running
exchange 2003 enterprise trial, there was some mixup with the licence order
and we couldn't wait for it to be resolved. Ex2k3 is running on a Win2k3
member server in a Windows 2000 domain. All email received direct into the
exchange server after the import of old email is fine, some older stuff has
issues.

Here is the summary of where I am at. Basically old email that's been
imported into Exchange 2003 has a small percentage that consistently but
randomly (same message has the problem each time, just can't find any
correlation between the message type or who it came from) is unreadable. It
is unreadable in Outlook 2000sp3 (the default in this office), Outlook 2003,
no sp, sp1 or sp2 and OWA. The errors are:

When you click on one of these messages, the preview pane says

    This item contains active content and cannot be displayed in the preview
    pane, open the item to read it's content

If you double click the item in folder list view, a popup says

Can't open this item, the operation failed

In owa, the listed error for the same message is

    501/505 not implemented

This happens both to messages that have attachments and ones that don't.

If we delete a folder on the exchange side and copy/paste the same folder
from the pst file, same problem occurs with the same messages.

When the same message is viewed in outlook from within the pst file, there
are no issues viewing the message.

I've tried the oulook import procedure, the drag and drop procedure from the
pst to the exchange mailbox, used exmerge and even imported from outlook
express (file export in OE), same issue with all the mailboxes. Of the 45
users or so that were imported, 2 are not having any problems, in both cases
they had only a small amount of mail in their respective pst files.

The last item I can think to try is upgrading the Exchange server to SP2. I
hope to do that tonight.

Lastly, if I upgrade to SP2, when the license order arrives and I do the
reinstall to convert from trial to full version, assuming the cd I get does
not have SP2 already as part of it, what do folks recommend?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting