RE: dial-up, VPN to access Exchange server hang

  • From: Andrea Coppini <AndreaCoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:24:48 +0200

It's normally a problem of packet losses.  Exchange (I know 5.5, I don't
know about 2000 yet) is very senstive to packet losses.

We experience exactly the same thing with remote users (dial-up, remote
offices, other LANs, DSL connections, doesn't make a difference) because we
have a problem with packet losses coming into the country.  We use
Checkpoint (IPsec) VPN.

One more thing.  Outlook doesn't actually hang, it just stalls.  Sometimes
it recovers on its own if you leave it for a few minutes.

The solution to this would be to get your user to use Outlook offline
folders.  This way he will work online when he's in the office or he has a
very good connection to Exchange (maybe a leased line or a DSL connection to
the same ISP as the Exchange server is on), he works online and synchronizes
automatically every y minutes.

When he's remote, on a dial-up or a bad link, he works offline and
synchronize every y mins.  This way he will always have the latest e-mail
(albeit with a delay of y minutes), but outlook will work much more
efficiently and won't hang.