[ExchangeList] Re: crashing exchange 2003 server - help

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:12:08 -0700

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------My intent is to clone
the crashy box to the new unused server using Acronis
(offline bootcd) which we already use for backup, that should be the fastest
way.

Anything I should be aware of that point. I'll disconnect the old box and
hookup the new box which will have all the same stuff as the old one. Will
that cause any problems with AD?

On 16 Sep 2009 at 14:35, Rob Sharp wrote:

> http://www.msexchange.org
> -------------------------------------------------------Just out of
> curiosity, what would happen if the server were to keel over
> partway through transferring a mailbox across to the replacement?
>
> Rob
>
> Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> > http://www.msexchange.org
> > -------------------------------------------------------The spare server I
> have is identical to the problematic one so no issue
> > there.

> > On 16 Sep 2009 at 9:18, Rick Boza wrote:
> >
> > You've got a standby piece of hardware that I would stand up as a second
> XCHG
> > server and move the mailboxes before I did anything else.
> >
> > I'm going to guess you have a bad raid controller or moboard at this
> point.
> > I'd probably look at replacing one or both of those while hosting the mail
> on
> > the temporary server.Performance may degrade a bit depending on how
> > underspecced it is, but much less so than the server dropping dead on a
> > regular basis.

> MSExchange Articles and Tutorials:
> http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/
> MSExchange Blogs: http://blogs.msexchange.org/

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Creating Solutions for the small and medium business computer user.
help@xxxxxxxxx (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice)

MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: