[ExchangeList] Re: crashing exchange 2003 server - help

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:02:12 -0700

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------This would be an offline
clone with the os not running. However with that
said, I'm cautiously optimistic that the crashing issue is resolved.  (I'll
still do a full clone just in case it's not).

Had a look through my notes and found another client last year with a similar
multirole (exchange and DC) server that was randomly bsod'ing.  Both servers
have the same SuperMicro motherboard, the X7DVL-E (Intel Blackbird 5000v
chipset)

Added an IPMI card to that machine to troubleshoot it, looked at crashdumps,
spoke with server manufacturer, updated drivers and firmwares etc, no joy,
until I upgraded the Nic drivers and all of the crashing went away. The
machine hasn't crashed or had a problem restarting in about 6 months, prior
to that it was several times weekly.

So last night onsite, I reseated the ram and updated the nic drivers and it
lasted the night without going sideways. Well see what happens today.

On 16 Sep 2009 at 10:32, Rick Boza wrote:

If you are truly cloning the box, and simply swapping them out to do so, you
should be fine.

One question though: when you take a snapshot with Acronis of the old box, I
would think you would be well served to have the Exchange services stopped,
to ensure you aren't cloning a transactional database on the fly. Does
Acronis mention Exchange cloning specifically?

So long as the old box is offline and there is absolutely no way for both
servers to be on the net at the same time, talking to a DC, I would think
you'd be fine. Having said that, I would certainly prefer to test that
process before I did it to a production system.

The move mailbox approach we know will work. I think the Acronis clone
approach will work, so long as you have the database shut down when you take
the backup.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting