RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:08:22 -0500

Actually it is valid - it just isn't reserved.  People use it all the time
with no ill effects - the only way a Bad Thing is likely to happen following
the use of .local internally is if suddenly .local were a valid,
registerable TLD on the Internet.

That seems extremely unlikely - you should probably worry about a satellite
dropping on your head as a more likely occurrence.

The important point isn't so much what you use as your internal - rather
that you avoid using your external domain presence.  Ideally you also want
to avoid using someone else's external domain name.

As for your email domain, which I suspect is the root of the question for
you, using a private internal name versus a different public domain has no
impact on your ability to receive and send mail as name@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The two are not related.