Soka|connections with OWA|LAN vs Internet

  • From: "Robert Lawson" <rlawson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:09:43 -0700

Hello All,
  A co-worker, the current Exchange admin, has stated that when the OWA client
is used on our LAN that it establishes a connection directly to the mailbox
store (as does Outlook) as well as to the front end server, and therefore the
OWA should not be used as mail client on our LAN.  When I use NETSTAT and
Exchange System Manager's log in's for mailbox store, I can not see this taking
place.  It appears that when using the OWA mail client on the LAN,  the front
end server brokers access to the mail store on your behalf, and no other
connection is made to the mailbox store.
  We are running Exchange 2003/Windows Server 2003.  We have a front end server
(OWA server) and back end server with mail stores.
  As a newbie Exchange person, your seasoned observations and comments are
welcome.
Thanks, Robert

Robert Lawson
Database Administrator