RE: Exchange Rebuild/recovery

  • From: "Jason Toews" <jasont@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:35:12 -0600

I used ntbackup to restore our exchange box. I installed all the patches and
service packs for Windows 2000. Setup the ip addressing. Then I ghosted the
drive to an image. So now if I would need to do a complete hard drive restore.
I restore the basic image for speed purposes and because the software
configuration is what I started out with. Then I install exchange in disaster
recovery mode and all the exchange service packs in disaster recovery mode
(setup.exe /disasterrecovery)that way it pulls config info from active
directory and doesn't try to mount the databases. Then I restored the Exchsrvr
dir and then restored the server\first storage group files. And make whatever
small config changes I need to make, for instance allowed relays and stuff like
that. I scheduled exmerge to run and export all users to *.pst files on a
different hard drive, so I can if I need to recover a single mailbox, I can use
exmerge as a type of brick level backup. And if you have deleted item and
mailbox retension set for you mailbox store, you might not even need to restore
any files from backup depending on the situation.