RE: Exchange Rebuild/recovery

  • From: "Mark Fugatt" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:15:40 -0500

Kelli

In the competition between you and your boss, I would award you the Gold
Star, recovering an Exchange server is not just a case of restore to a
new server and away you go, it needs to be planned a bit better than
that.

You would need to install Exchange 2000 using exactly the same name as
the old server, make sure all your Administrative Groups, Storage
Groups, Stores etc are named exactly the same as the old server (so
documentation is very important), then you can restore the data.

Does the server also run AD, if it does that of course would add to the
disaster recovery plan.

I would recommend you read through this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q326052

If you messaging system is critical (as it is in most companies) you may
want to look at implementing a Clustered solutions.

Hope this helps

Mark Fugatt
MCSE, MCT, Microsoft Exchange MVP
Pentech Office Solutions Inc