RE: Anti-Virus revisited

  • From: "Richard Pettigrew" <Richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:11:20 +0100

I have experience with both. Right now we are using Network Associates
Total Virus Defence Suite, which include Netshield for NT/2000,
Groupshield for Exchange and Virus Scan 4.5 for the Desktop PC's.

I have found it to be very effective in removing/blocking/quarantining
email borne virus threats, however there are some minor issues to be
aware of:

Netshield, although being able to download the DAT file and save them
for later use, ie in a shared folder for the desktop clients using Virus
Scan 4.5 to update from, a hotfix is required to be obtained from NAI to
resolve the issue of Netshield not downloading the "Update.ini" file
that allows the client pc's to correctly process the update of the DAT
files.

Once this is done we found all instances of Netshield and VirusScan4.5
updated correctly and caught all viruses, including the most recent
"Bugbear" virus.

Daily checks are highly recommended. Forget weekly, the DAT file version
can sometimes change twice in the week.