[etni] Re: projects

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Adele Raemer" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:13:17 +0200

Thanks, Adele.  This does help a bit, but it doesn't solve all of my
problems.  I'm doing your body language project, in which the tasks are also
broken up.  However, the kids have to do the actual "research" part at home
because they can't use the Internet during the lesson, nor can they
videotape or do interviews during this time, of course.  They have broken up
those parts, but because there are other things that can only be done at
home (transcribing/watching videotapes, for example), the in class time
needs to be used mainly for reading articles and taking notes (and also
creating interview questions).  So while one kid might have been responsible
for bringing in material from the Internet, in most cases, at least two or
three kids in the group are responsible for reading/taking
notes/summarizing, so if the material's not in class, they're "stuck".
Also, I gave out daily work schedules for each group to photocopy (I can't
make that many copies at school) and in some cases, the work schedules were
with the kids who were absent.  Also, during the first lesson, when they
broke up into groups, they were supposed to decide on a country to research.
Some of the groups decided not to decide until they'd actually checked out
available materials.  They were supposed to work this out by the following
lesson, but that's when half the class didn't show up.

Is each of your students handing in his/her own written presentation?  Or
will they hand in their final product as a group?

Bari