[etni] projects

  • From: tessa shrem <tessashrem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:00:32 +0200

I think it is unfortunate that the projects got lumped together with the
HOTS from the beginning.  There is some justification for the claim that
we've been doing projects for the last 6 or 7 years without too much
protest.  However, to say that there is no work involved in doing the
project - I cannot agree. Checking and re-checking drafts of each section,
then checking the whole thing, then finding time to hear the Oral
Presentation takes a tremendous amount of my time - and also class time,
time that I really don't have if I'm also to teach grammar and writing and
unseens and Literature and all the rest.  It is no wonder that so many
teachers have begun to give the pupils much more leeway to do the project at
home with all the problems that entails - such as downloading straight from
the Internet, or doing Copy/Paste, which many of the pupils don't understand
is not the same as editing, or summarising
,
In addition, let's not forget that the NBA came in before the strike, when
we were all much more innocent and, frankly, gullible.  A number of teachers
have pointed out that the strike didn't get us anything, using this as a
reason not to be involved in any further Irgun measures.  Here again, I have
a different point of view.  The strike DID do something for many of us - it
made us realize what suckers we've been all these years, and be determined
not to be suckers any more.  I therefore have kept to all the sanctions, and
become involved in the fight against HOTS.

Unfortunately, at a meeting with quite a few other co-ordinators recently,
it turned out that my school was the only one that had not done a project.
Against my better judgement I have decided that we will do a smallish
project so that our pupils will not lose out.  Nevertherless, I must point
out that the Irgun is the only Union we have, and if we want it to support
us, as it has in the struggle against the implementation of the HOTS
programme, I don't believe we should decide to choose which sanctions to
keep to and which not, just as I believe that if you are a member of the
Irgun, and don't abide by its decisions, you should resign.

Shabat shaom everyone and happy Hannukah.

Tessa