[etni] projects

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:38:37 +0200

I recently started doing project work in my 5-point 10th grade class.  My
students are working in groups of 3 to 4 and although I thought that group
work would be easier for them and for me, I am facing several problems that
I had not thought of ahead of time.  First of all, it's winter and kids are
sick.  Every day, different kids are absent.  And last week, they went on a
one-day trip.  I knew I would have no lesson on Wednesday, but I didn't even
consider the possibility of 20 out of 38 kids not showing up for the double
lesson on Thursday (they were "tired", although they didn't get back too
late).  And one kid forgot to tell me that she'd be going abroad for several
weeks.  And another kid (in the same group as the girl who went abroad)
decided to move down to a lower level class.  And a third kid in that group
has been absent for several lessons.  So the fourth kid decided he'd had
enough and asked to join one of the groups of 3 (they were happy to have
him, but I have no idea what's going to happen when the one who's been
absent for several days comes back).  It seems like the material is always
with the kid who doesn't show up.  And some of the groups have had trouble
finding material and have had to change the topic of their project.  I could
go on and on, but I'd rather not.  This is a really good class of very
motivated students.  I don't even want to think about what's going to happen
when I try doing a project with one of my less-motivated classes.

Any advice on dealing with the problem of absences would be appreciated.

Bari