[etni] Re: orals

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: motti46@xxxxxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:06:24 -0700 (PDT)

Well, Mordechai, I have to say that I'm glad you're not testing our students
:-) They DO memorize their presentation, but I don't think that that negates
their accomplishments. My experience shows that memorization does help students
develop oral skills. (As that's not the topic of this thread, I won't go into
that at length, but I can give further examples if you like.) What concerns me
more is that you have added on restrictions that are not part of the testing
rubric, which really makes the testing experience unfair to the students and
totally subjective. Here are the criteria for a 4-5 point oral presentation on
the project:
·   Presentation is well-organized and includes:  introduction, summary of main
ideas and conclusion
·   Presentation is sustained and detailed (talks for about three minutes)
·   Personal perspective is included
·    Presentation is spoken rather than read from notes

First, to have it well-organized, it must be prepared at home. That's what a
presentation is by nature. OK, obviously very few of us give presentations by
memorizing the whole thing from beginning to end, but there's nothing actually
wrong with that. Second, all it says is that it cannot be read from notes - NOT
that it cannot be said from memory. So you're adding on a condition that was
not given by the Ministry - I can't imagine how upset students who worked hard
to prepare their presentation according to the criteria must feel when you stop
them after a few seconds. And I'm really surprised that their teachers haven't
said anything to you - I certainly would.

All the best,
Rivka

Mordechai wrote:

I  for one agree with your tester

"our well prepared students were very upset." is actually a euphemism for
students who memorised summaries they wrote at home. Does such a memorized
speech tell us much about the communication skills of that pupil? I think
not. When I hear such a memorized artificial speech I stop it after a few
seconds.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal