[etni] korczak quote of the week

  • From: "avi tsur" <tsuravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:23:14 +0000

I was relieved to get off the train, proud to find that none of the children
was missing, and everything went so well. The rest of the way ? in horse
drawn carts.

Even with the least amount of experience, it could have been foreseen that
the children, if not warned, would make a disorderly dash for the carts, so
that the agile and enterprising would occupy the best seats; the awkward
would lose their bags and those unfortunate toothbrushes, that all children
would have to be reseated and that much noise and confusion would ensue.

Maintenance of order depends entirely on the ability to anticipate. Having
foreseen, it is possible to prevent.

During a walk we are nearing a well in the farmyard. I stop them.

"Stand in pairs. Come up to the well four at a time."

If I say nothing beforehand, my effort to keep order will be in vain. And
should there be a fight, a cup broken, the vegetable garden trampled or the
fence damaged, it is not the fault of the children but of the teacher's
inexperience.

These are trifles. Such experience, one very quickly acquires given some
goodwill. Even so, the very first act of the teacher is of decisive
importance and at times affects his entire future attitude toward the
children.

Janusz Korzcak ~ Summer Camps