[etni] fw: re: chasing down plagiarism

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:32:46 +0200

From: "Hedy" <hedykib@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: chasing down plagiarism

I have found that that they are extremely clever in copy-paste and we
can look all we want, but will not find it. The only solution I have
found and which seems to work is having them do drafts. I know it is a
bit of work for us, however, the results seem to justify it. Also if you
are giving group projects then it is only one draft a group which may
make it a bit easier.
I also write the following in the rubrics: if the final project work is
very different than the drafts you handed in, I will deduct points.
I try to make it clear to them, that if the work is theirs and there are
some errors, it is ok, but I will not tolerate having others do the work
for them or having them just copy paste. Hence, the draft. I get a good
idea of what they are doing, make some comments and in smaller classes
will take more drafts if necessary. I want them to see that writing is a
process and not just a one time task.

Judy wrote:
I know that there are ways to find out if the students cut and paste
from the Internet  by typing in a sentence or phrase in Google search.
even tho I'm sure the work is plagiarized , I can't seem to ever find it.
What am I doing wrong?....and since I'm sure they're clever enough
to change a word or 2 or change the words around..I"ve already tried that!!!!

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm