Re: [etni] Re: to friend or not to friend

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rachcb1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:51:31 +0300

I had a lesson with one of my classes in the computer room one day.  They
had been asked to fill out some school questionnaire that had nothing to do
with English, but happened to fall on my lesson.  As they finished, they
started opening their Facebook accounts and I heard bits and pieces of
conversations about people they didn't know sending them friend requests.  I
decided that this was important enough to spend a lesson on, so when they
had all finished with the questionnaire, I asked them what they knew about
Facebook privacy.  They knew almost nothing, or at least most of them did.
 I asked if they knew that strangers could see their pictures if their
privacy settings weren't correct and they didn't believe me, so I opened up
my own Facebook account and did a search for one of the girls in the class
who is not my Facebook friend.  I then proceeded to open up her photo
albums.  She was floored.  We spent the rest of the lesson reviewing privacy
settings and kids actually came up to my computer, connected to their own
accounts and asked me to fix their privacy settings for them.
I think this is a very important issue and as educators, it's our
responsibility to learn about privacy issues on Facebook and other sites and
then review them with our students.

Bari

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 17:56, R. Borenstein <rachcb1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I heard a speaker who gives lectures on education around
> the country (and happens to be my neighbor so it was close by) speaking
> about FB. As someone who has an account for family and friends only, and
> have turned downed students, I was one of the few people who knew what it
> was in contrast to a hall of "innocents" who knew their kids had FB
> accounts
> but no clue what was happening there. One of the most critical points he
> made was touched upon here by Judy, and is very surprising: minimal
> knowledge of privacy settings. I'm not going to go into the merits or
> dangers of being a friend of a student, but as teachers, it's important
> that
> we teach our students about the privacy settings, and that once a picture
> has been put on the internet, or even a hurtful comment that can be
> accessed
> by anyone, and in some cases, can't be deleted. One of the clips he showed
> also put things into perspective and can be great for a discussion with
> your
> students. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqslTxKkmo

> ** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
> ** for help - ask@xxxxxxxx **