[etni] Re: to friend or not to friend

  • From: "R. Borenstein" <rachcb1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:56:02 +0300

A few weeks ago, I heard a speaker who gives lectures on education around
the country (and happens to be my neighbor so it was close by) speaking
about FB. As someone who has an account for family and friends only, and
have turned downed students, I was one of the few people who knew what it
was in contrast to a hall of "innocents" who knew their kids had FB accounts
but no clue what was happening there. One of the most critical points he
made was touched upon here by Judy, and is very surprising: minimal
knowledge of privacy settings. I'm not going to go into the merits or
dangers of being a friend of a student, but as teachers, it's important that
we teach our students about the privacy settings, and that once a picture
has been put on the internet, or even a hurtful comment that can be accessed
by anyone, and in some cases, can't be deleted. One of the clips he showed
also put things into perspective and can be great for a discussion with your
students. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqslTxKkmo