[etni] FACEBOOK - to friend or not to friend...?

  • From: Eduardo Lina <eduardolina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:22:55 -0700 (PDT)

Shalom!

I  posted something on using a Facebook group with a 5 point 10th grade class
at Kugel High School, Holon on Tue, 11 Jan 2011 (you can easily view it on the
e-mail  list online - check view mailing list online if you want to).

I have gone on using Facebook and have certaily had a good time doing it.

And no, I have not become a friend with any of my pupils. There is no need to
as far as I am concerned. I have been able to get the same result by creating a
group which allows me to get to my pupils as easily as by becoming their
friend. They can reach me, too.

By the way, this year I have travelled to Spain for 10 days as one of the
two Spanish Foreign Language teachers in charge of a group of twenty-two 5
points Spanish Foreign Language High School pupils from many different schools
in the country (it was part of an  student exchange program we  Spanish
teachers at the Ministry have had for the last two years), and for anything
that has had to do with the project we have used a Facebook group. We even used
it to get in touch in Madrid itself, as the kids had been staying with their
Spanish hosts and using a phone was sometimes a problem.

Again, there has not been any need to be friends, and the results were very
good. So was the trip, of course.

And yes, we should talk (and teach) about issues such as privacy and Facebook
behavior. Kids may be great at using technology but that doesn't mean that they
know how to manage everything, or even how to go onabout doing it. I am not
saying we (teachers) may know better, but we may all learn this together. There
is much to learn indeed.

I have sent the ETAI Forum an article on how I used Facebook back in December
2010. I know the editors have got it , but do not know whether it is good
enough to merit publishing. I will not write on twhat I wrote on the list
because it belongs to the Forum now and we all want people to share on our
magazine, don't we? If it is published (it does not desrve a Pulitzer Prize,
mind you), I will be happy to have shared something.

If you are not an ETAI member and are perhaps interested in reading the article
(and others), simply join ETAI. Anyway, I guess most ETNI members are ETAI
members, too. At least I hope so.
Chag Sameach!