[etni] bookless beginning year activities - simple poems

  • From: sommer ben <sommerbtch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:29:28 +0100 (BST)

Greeeting colleagues,

I liked the poem Judy Freedman sent in, and have also been thinking about using
poems.

I'm thinking particularly of  my weakish 7th and 8th grade classes, and 1 point
class in high school, who will as yet most probably have no books ? and of
course there are budgetary restrictions  on supplying pages of duplicated
materials.

So I have decided to try some poems in simple language, using the blackboard.

Here they are.

(Theme: A slightly tongue in cheek look at how we feel about school and why we
should be most happy to be back.)

BACK TO SCHOOL

By Ben Sommer

We?re back in school.

Oh what fun!

Here we are,

everyone.

We sit here

in class again,

nice young women

and nice young men.

We want to learn.

We want to know.

Teacher help us

learn and grow.

We want to sit

and learn all day.

We do not want

to go away.

We had too much holiday.

We want to come to school and stay!

Give us homework!

A quiz! A test!

These are the things

that we like best!

We do not want

to stop and rest!

We lazed for 8 weeks,

now we say!

Enough, enough

of holiday!!

II

Theme: Our minds range far afield when we are asleep. Where do we go? There are
the dreams when we feel we are flying and soaring over all, dreams when we go
over past incidents and revisit old friends and dreams when we meet famous
people?. sometimes we remember bits of these, but often not. This may be
elicited from the students in discussion prior to the presentation of the poem.

I would do this longish poem in two halves.

 NIGHT TRAVELS

by Ben Sommer

Who knows,

who knows

just where we go

when we go

to sleep?

Our bodies are here,

That is clear,

But do we just count sheep?

Or are we in

some strange, far place?

Do we meet dragons

face to face,

or maybe fly

past purple seas,

or great red fires,

or great green trees?

Yes, while our bodies

lie in beds,

are we there

inside our heads?

Do we fight

old fights again

with teachers, parents,

scary men,

with brothers, sisters,

old girlfriends?

Do we fight monsters,

remember school,

or funny times

we played the fool?

Do we remember

friends from our past

who we see

in dreams at last?

Or do we talk

with movie stars

and dance with them

at pools, or bars,

or drive around

in big, fast cars?

When we sleep

we fly away.

Where do we go?

Who can say?

These poems provide short simple sentences, broken up visually to fit into the
stanzas. Hopefully they will enable vocabulary, and grammar, revision,
discussion, oral practice, repeated readings of the text and writing practice.

I plan to first go over the vocabulary. Then  I will write a verse on the
board, and read it out.  Next I?ll  invite volunteers to have a go at reading
it out loud, and follow this with some discussion of the meaning -  and so on
with the rest of the verses.

Once the whole poem is on the board  I will rub out the selected vocabulary
words (remember we have already gone over vocabulary so they will have these
items listed in their notebooks).

I will then ask them to copy the poems into their notebooks and complete the
missing words.

Once this is done we can go over the answers, thus reading the text yet again?

Homework can be learning the words, learning a verse off by heart and so forth.

Better students could prepare two sentences of opinion about the poem,(or
perhaps add two lines or a verse.)

 If you use these in class, I would be most interested to know what you did and
how they went.

Ben Sommer