[etni] Re: PowerPoint presentations

  • From: "Lev" <labra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <odedzd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:42:19 +0200

Oded and all -=20

You will most probably be surprised to hear this opinion of mine: =
knowing
the degree of my involvement in CALL you'd probably expect me to respond
enthusiastically; however, my perspective regarding the use of PPT for
classroom explanations is quite negative.

PPoint has no advantages compared to a regular whiteboard. Its main
drawbacks are:

- it is not as interactive as we'd want it to be;
- it is very labor-intensive: you'd need to spend (waste?) lots of time =
create your own grammar-related presentations that would really work;

I guess this is the reason why you are looking for existing =
presentations,
rather than try to create your own.

I'm not saying you cannot use PPT for grammar instruction - but the =
effort
you need to invest in preparing it would make you hate it after 2-3
attempts. You spend 30 minutes to create a 90-second sequence. Is that =
worth
it?

The same holds true as regards using PPT for network-based tutorials for
self-access. PPT has the Save for Web option - but these pages are heavy =
and
run slowly; besides, you cannot incorporate scripts that would make them
sufficiently interactive.

If one is really keen on creating good tutorials - Flash is the software =
of
choice, as it makes scripting fairly easy. Still, it has the learning =
curve
that will make most people give up before mastering it.

Best -

Lev
Lev ABRAMOV <lev[at]schiffman.biz>
The Shiffman Institute www.schiffman.biz