[etni] book reports

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 09:49:58 +0300

Not only do we have the kids write book reports in class but we force them to
actually bring the books into class on the day of the report.   The book
"report" is really the secondary product, it is a tool to encourage (force :-)
the kids to actually read.  (There are always those kids who just will not
actually do the reading but at least this way, they will have to make greater
efforts to "pretend" and the book must be produced.)  In addition, our book
reports, while short, tend to involve some interaction with the book itself.
For example, "Open your book to page 36. Find a sentence of dialogue and copy
it.  Describe who is speaking, who is he speaking to, describe what happened
immediately before/after this conversation."   We find this justifies the kids
bringing their books in, makes it much more difficult to cheat and simply write
a book report about a book they have read in Hebrew or seen the movie of.
Best wishes,
Judi G.