[etni] book reports

  • From: laurie@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 04:48:14 -0700

      I know we've "been there and done that" regarding book reports but the
topic seems to have surfaced once more. Books are books and short stories
areshort stories. The kids can also read an anthology of short stories,
breaking up the long thread of thought. I realize there will always be kids
who don't really read their books but as it's a part of the curriculum and
taken into account in calculating yearly grades, it stays. We have to do our
best to implement the program.      A few thoughts and suggestions on how to
get the kids to read, some of which have been raised before.....      Go
withthe kids to the library to choose SUITABLE books as the pupils are not
always capable of doing that on their own, even in 12th grade. I help them
pick titles and let them sit down to read and check them out while I help
others. A double lesson is helpful and allows a reading lesson, too.
Setaside reading time IN CLASS either on a regular basis, one or part of one
lesson a week or possibly every other week. I have one weak class that
enjoysthis, especially in the library and not in our regular classroom
setting.      Now, I know, some teachers have their pupils keep reading
journals but I don't as the kids find it burdensome and as long as I see
themreading, I shy away from that idea.  As a kid,I always hated such
things.I encourage the kids to read by asking them from time to time how
theylike their book choices. A few minutes of "show and tell" on the subject
can spur reading.     We write book reports IN CLASS and that means I know
each kid is doing his own work. In the past I'd got "recycled" and
occasionaldownloaded book reports, if you know what I mean. I usually tell
the kids the lesson before what kind of reports they'll be doing so that
theycan prepare outlines and bring appropriate items to class. Sometimes we
do a round of only oral book reports which works well with weak learners as
well as strong ones.  The kids recommend ..or not...books to each other.
I have less a problem of reading with stronger classes, but they too enjoy a
special reading lesson in a different setting...on the lawn outside in the
sun, in the library or going a bit far as I once described...our "pajama
party with popcorn" after dinner one rainy night. (I teach in a boarding
school). A little simpler for citybound schools..have a  tea party in class
while the kids read...simple enough.    Good luck! Laurie Ornstein