[etni] Re: adding fuel to the fire

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev.abramov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni@Freelists. Org" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:44:17 +0200

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Nehama Barbiru <nb001@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> .... If there are not enough teachers who are willing to mark the tests,
> the MOE
> should rethink. It is either that the pay is not worth the effort OR that
> teachers don't regard the Meitzav as important or significant enough. (or
> it
> may be both).

Nehama,

you have hit the nail on the head. It's the pay. In the final score, the pay
is the key.

Not only to the way Meitzav tests are marked - to every aspect of school
life. A teacher is underpaid - and in addition, permanently humiliated by
pupils, parents and the administration. No wonder young people do not want
to become teachers, and those who do, do not do their work properly: some
cannot (those whom you call "English teachers who cannot read English"),
others just think it is not worth the effort ("if they think they pay us a
wage - let'em think we do them a job").

And as long as the ministry can get away with paying teachers as little as
they do, they will. And as long as teachers have their corrupt and
inefficient trade union leadership as they now have, the situation will
remain as it is now. I said this five years ago while still teaching (check
the ETNI archives); I am saying this now, after having quit a school
teacher's job three years back. Whining doesn't help. Get yourself real
leaders - and fight for your salaries.

Yours -

Lev
--