[etni] Re: Where is ETNI going?

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 01:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

Malka,

I definitely don't want to attack you - no one should be attacking anyone else
on this forum or on any other. Every person is entitled to his or her own
opinion, and while I do disagree with you on many of the things you said, I
think that generally speaking, such disagreements are discussed on ETNI in a
respectful, civilized tone.

One point I would like to bring up is the tone of "Where is Judy?" and other
similar letters regarding the problems Modules E, F and G. As others have
pointed out, ETNI is the one opportunity for all of us to vent and find out if
others feel like us or if we are all alone out there. I was at the ETAI summer
conference, which was in many ways like a "live ETNI" - teachers discussed the
new Bagrut, chatted, discussed the new Bagrut, exchanged teaching ideas,
discussed the new Bagrut, and shmoozed. Oh, and did I tell you that they
discussed the new Bagrut? I spent a lot of time talking with a lot of people,
most of them strangers until now, and I was never the one to bring the subject
up, but it did come up, time and again. While I certainly heard positive
remarks about projects and the whole idea of a modular system, NO ONE had
anything positive to say about this year's 5-point exam, and EVERYONE expressed
a lot of concern about what would happen next year, when all the 12th gr
 aders
 would be taking the test. EVERYONE wanted to hear more information from Judy
Steiner about the subject, and NO ONE I spoke to felt that he or she had gotten
the necessary information. Again, we're talking about literally dozens of
teachers, coordinators, and yes, even Bagrut examiners.

That's why I think the voices on ETNI are a fair mirror of what's going on
among the English teachers of Israel at large. I understand that you feel
differently, and would honestly love to hear your reasoning. In the same way,
let's allow everyone else to voice their feelings.

All the best,
Rivka