[etni] Re: The "shnati" grade...

  • From: "Linda" <lsk120@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:01:36 +0200

Hi Judy,

 I suggested getting rid of the magen grade and I still do! I mentioned that we
could just give them a grade for their report cards, like we did/do for the
lower grades in high school and also for the 12th grades' semester one grade!
So, your suggestion about giving them a grade at the end of the year is just
what I was talking about.

I still see problems with even giving it lesser weight.. What can I say? Some
past experiences and scenarios I've witnessed, in addition to colleagues'
stories, have affected me and soured me to this whole idea.

I wholy agree with rewarding those who work and giving my industrious,
responsible students grades that reflect that. However, we have seen the
results of that, of problems due to "gaps" in the actual exam and the "yearly
grade"!  Giving higher grades to  students whose reading
comprehension/composition skills are weak has also caused me problems in the
past (in 10th and 11th grades)! How do you explain to the
student/parent/administration that a particular student is weak in five points
and would succeed/be happier in a 4 point class, when they got 80 on their
report card in English!  Will we ever find the golden path?

The great majority of us are extremely hard working, dedicated and always
looking for better ways.  Therefore, when so many of us are dissatisfied and
frustrated by the system, the "higher ups" should wake up and listen.

Let's hope this discussion is an impetus for change!

Sincerely,
Linda Kuras Mizrahi