[etni] The "shnati" grade...

  • From: Judi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:22:19 +0200

How right you are Esther.....until we totally get rid of the idea of the
"magen" which is only linked to expectations of what our kids will get on their
bagrut  and we are not penalized for giving in grades that differ from the
bagrut scores then the idea of the year grade "shnati" is going to remain a bad
joke.

Adele, how right you are, that we do need some kind of end of year grade that
will reflect our pupils' work; to encourage motivation and include the
literature/extensive reading programs/projects.

So what is the solution?  I think it is so blaringly obvious.  I believe we
SHOULD  be required to give in  ONE year grade (no matter how many modules the
kid is doing) that truly reflects the pupil's work in the year and NOT
necessarily be connected to his performance on the bagrut modules.

Rather than ignore Linda's idea of getting rid of it altogether I would
compromise by suggesting that it should have its "weight" changed and be
responsible for  15-25%of the pupil's total grade rather than the 50% it has
today.

We then might have the theoretical scenarios:

Native speaker who is brilliant at unseens but does nothing all year        +/-
 (75-85)Borderline pupil poor at unseens but works his/her butt off all year
       +/- (65-75)

I would be interested to hear what other teachers out there think?

Judi G.