[etni] Re: Present Progressive or Present Simple first?.

  • From: Ilana Rosansky <ilanar49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lkirshenberg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:50:36 +0200

Lea,
You have basically agreed with me regarding the 'reason' the Israeli
schools have, for years, begun with the progressive.  (We alreday use 'be'
etc...). BUT, I repeat. Listen to adult Hebrew speakers of English and you
will hear many, many errors, using the progressive when it should be
present simple.

The fact is, we do not usually speak very often about "now". Phone
conversations are clearly one context. ESL classroom practice
(over-practice) is another. In normal conversational usage, we do not
regularly use the progressive; there are few contexts which call for it,
and when we do use it, it is to express simple future (eg. I'm leaving at
3:15 to attend a Purim Seudah.). Look at your own post below. I capitalized
the verbs (and auxiliaries) as I'm not sure that lists preserve underlining
or italics. Other than your example sentence at the end of your post, it's
ALL simple present!!!

Take a look at any authentic speech and count the number of times
progressive is used as opposed to simple present.

Chag Purim Same'ach,
Ilana

--

Your time is limited; don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be
trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's