[etni] Re: Present Progressive or Present Simple first?.

  • From: "Chaim" <Chaim58@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lkirshenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:32:26 +0200

Actually, you should start with the action on which you wish to place the
emphasis.

For instance:

In the sentence: "While I was standing under the tree,  it started to rain,
" the sentence comes to tell us what happened to you while you were standing
under the tree.

However, in the sentence: " When it started to rain, I was standing under
the tree," the sentence comes to tell us what you did when it started to
rain. The beginning of the rainfall is of primary importance.

The difference is very subtle, yet important. I tell my students to place
the action of primary importance first...and such is the correct thing to
do. However, as per comprehension, there is little consequence.

Chaim Kleg