[etni] Re: New ETNI Poll or Excuse me, but shouldn't it be "fewer hours" and not "less hours"?

  • From: "Lev Abramov" <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zmirianc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Etni@Freelists. Org" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:31:18 +0200

Dear all -=20

I'm glad that errors some of us make in our postings to the list =
actually
lead to learning, as the posting quoted below clearly indicates.

However, no matter how various dictionaries present it, "less" is used =
with
uncountable nouns (e.g., time) while "fewer" attributes countable nouns =
-
hours, for example. Using them indiscriminately (=3Dintechangeably) on =
the
premise that "hours" actually means "time" is not the kind of English we
were taught and are expected to teach.

I think a major psychological problem here in Israel is some strange
inability to say aloud, "Sorry, it was a mistake." Look how it works:

Someone posts "less hours" instead of "fewer hours" - someone says it's
wrong - OK, say "Oooops... Sorry!" - No, we'll keep trying to prove that
fewer =3D less.

A Bagrut exam is written so badly the whole country starts screaming.
Instead of saying "Sorry" and making amends, the Inspectorate plays =
possum
for a while, then claims everything was ok, loses teachers' trust - but =
has
a feeling it has saved its face.

The State sends agents to New Zealand, they get caught; all that is =
needed
to settle the issue is to say "Sorry" - but no, we're too great, too
impeccable to admit we CAN make a mistake. NZ almost breaks its =
connections
with Israel - but no-one claims responsibility.

Maybe it's time to start admitting errors in English - this may later =
help
prevent international conflicts...

Best -

Lev