[etni] New ETNI Poll or Excuse me, but shouldn't it be "fewer hours" and not "less hours"?

  • From: "The Cohen Family" <zmirianc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:52:34 +0200

Linda wrote:
> Excuse me, but shouldn't it be "fewer hours" and not "less hours"?
--- snip ---

ETNI responded by quoting the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (M-W) .

Based on the last part of M-W's explanation, "Less is ?as likely as fewer to
modify periods of time

<in less (or fewer) than four hours>", it seems to me that in this case both
possibilities are eligible.

Referring to fewer and less, I would like to quote The American College
Dictionary published by Random House:

Fewer, Less are sometimes confused because both imply to a comparison with
something larger (in number or amount).

FEWER applies only to number: a fewer street cars are running now than ten
years ago.

LESS is used in various ways. It is commonly applied to material in bulk, in
references to amount:

less gasoline in the tank than we thought.

It is also used frequently with abstractions, especially where the idea of
amount is figuratively present:

less courage, less wealth.

Less applies where such attributes as value, degree, etc. (but not size or
number) are concerned:

a nickel is less than a dime (in value); a corporal is less than a sergeant (in
rank).

A merge of both dictionaries helped me understand the issue better.

Dorian