[etni] Five day week

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:49:48 +0300

Here's my comment on the survey question:

The only correct way to implement a 5 day school week is to
lengthen the school day. The physical  plant in our school
is in good shape compared to others I've seen, yet we still
work in hot, crowded,  uncomfortable conditions. By the
sixth and seventh hours, it is almost impossible to teach
because  everyone is so uncomfortable and there is no long
break during the day. The longest break is 20  minutes long
and there is no place to comfortably eat. I cannot imagine
what it would be like to teach  through the eighth hour
every day.
 Furthermore, I think that what is going to happen is that
we will move to a 5 day week without
 lengthening the day. This will result in fewer teaching and
learning hours a week. This is worse than  trying to teach
the eighth hour under our unbearable conditions. Either way,
we all lose -- us as teachers and our kids as pupils.

 Michele Ben