[etni] [FWD: re:disillusioned teacher]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:36:21 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: re:disillusioned teacher
 From: "byk" <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Dear Disillusioned Teacher,
 Yes, this sort of thing happens in many schools around the country.  I
have been threatened with dismissal if I didn't raise the Magen marks.
Needless to say, I didn't comply.  I have been told, like another
teacher on this list, that every pupil had to do either 4 or 5 point
bagrut, and that no pupil would be allowed to take the 3 point.  When a
secretary listened to the oral bagrut, then went into the class and told
them the answers, I was told I would be killed if I reported it.  In the
end, I didn't because these students had worked so hard for their 3
point bagrut, coming up from zero English, and they were all able to
achieve over 90 in the test, that it would have been heartbreaking for
them to have their achievements cancelled because of the actions of a
foolish woman.
 I could go on, but won't.  The system is riddled with abuse, and
because I see no end to it in the forseeable future, I am no longer
part of it.
 Jennifer Byk