[etni] [FWD: re: abusing the system

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:30:02 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: re: abusing the system
 From: "linz" <linz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 It seems to me that at the main source of the problem here is the
pincipal.
 Interestingly enough, Prof. Alice Shalvi wrote a commentary in last
week's
 Jerusalem Post magazine on the Dovrat Report in which she expressed
hope
 that this change will create teachers of more "moral probity". The
 optimistic among us no doubt believe that many such teachers already
exist
 and I too would subscribe to that belief. However, while Shalvi calls
for
 change within the teaching force and the inspectorate, at no time does
she
 mention the principals of the schools. The kind of story related by
 "disillusioned teacher" is unfortunately not so rare. Until the
education
 system in this country demands that principals must first of all be men
and
 women of vision and virtue, have  impeccable integrity and serve as a
 personal example and inspiration  to us all, have had  the formal
training
 to enable them to run a school both professionally and compassionately,
 until then,  there is little hope for the moral, cultural and social
future
 of this counrty. There are very fine principals out there and I have
been
 privileged to work and learn from quite a  few of them. However,
 unfortunately. too many  so called "educational leaders" are "buddies"
of
 the Rosh Moatza or some other notable in the education dept. of City
Hall.
 Their professional credentials are dubious indeed.

 One last word to you , the "disillusioned teacher". Don't give up. You
must
 be devastated but the system needs you and it's those like you who can
 really make a difference. You'll find the right climate to do it in.
 Good Luck,
 Lindsey Shapiro