[etni] Re: [FWD: Re: Oral Bagrut - an interesting experience]

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:24:50 +0200

> 1. Personally, I do not think the problem lies in an umbrella topic - there
> are many reasons why I would advocate an umbrella topic, especially for
> anyone BUT your strongest kids, in order to help them finding sources. The
> different arguments are all in the NBA courses given all around the country
> (as well as online)

I agree.  I would never work without an umbrella topic, especially
since I try to tie my topic in with something we've done in class.

> 2. I would NOT say "no" to an umbrella topic just because I was afraid that
> it would bore the tester on testing day!

I also agree with this.  Plus, the umbrella topic is usually broad
enough that the individual projects end up being very different.  My
umbrella topic this year was violence.  I had projects on violence
against women, programs aimed at preventing violence in schools, the
causes of school shootings in the USA, the connection between alcohol
and violence, violence and religion and more.  I think these are
different enough to keep the tester interested.

> In other words, the problems you described here all have to do, IMHO, with
> TEACHER TRAINING.

Maybe.  I did take the NBA course and I know how to do a project with
my class and I gave my students very strict instructions.  Yet there
were STILL students who did not follow instructions and despite having
to have their resources approved and having to hand in their drafts
(which were corrected by me, of course) their final projects were very
poor and several of them failed.  These kids will have to take these
not-very-impressive (to say the least) projects with them to the oral
exam.  It's certainly no reflection on my teaching, as is evident from
the excellent projects that I got from other groups.

Bari