[esnr] Re: Get up, stand up

  • From: Verstraeten Edwin <edwin.verstraeten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:17:21 +0200 (MEST)

hello Lesley, Berrie, Dörte and all,

Thanks you very much for your relevant contributions to the discussion. I
certainly agree with you all that there should be an important place for
clinical practice in SAN. After all, it is already rooted in its name: APPLIED
neuroscience, which actually includes clinical work.

One fruitful implementation of this is by a synergetic cooperation as Dörte
calls it between science and clinical practice. For me this means not only that
good clinical work is based on scientific knowledge, obviously, and that
(pioneering) science can break fresh ground for new clinical applications and
developments, but also that clinicial cases can bring in very valuable
information for scientists to generate new research hypotheses!

And, of course, sharing these clinical insights with other clinicians is of
utmost importance in itself, especially in our young field. So I agree with you
all that there is a need for a forum for clinicians. Berrie did already a
couple of good suggestions such as a clinicians' database and a European email
intervision group.

Another way in my opinion could be to offer clinical case tracks at the annual
conference, ensuring an abundant information exchange.
In addition, the Board is currently investigating different ways to offer
members as much as possible for their fee. Next to the own SAN journal in the
near future, what about offering other (more clinically oriented) journals too?
such as the Journal of Neurotherapy, and/or Applied Psychophysiology and
Biofeedback (AAPB) -- whether or not as an option (with reduced subscription
rates).
Clearly, this is not decided yet, and depends on upcoming negotiations among
other things. So please keep letting us know what you think and would like to
see happen.

best regards,
Edwin Verstraeten
secretary