Re: highlight background of sort-by column

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:41:10 +1000

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:45:10 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Tom
> This was discussed a long time ago, and I was curious if you had a
> different view now.
>
> One of the UI features that strikes on first-time use is that all
> columns (and lines) have the same background colour. This can be
> easily changed for lines by enabling Panes > Style > Banded
> background, but it cannot for columns. I am not suggesting to use a
> banded background for all columns, but only to highlight the column
> used to sort the file list.
>
> The advantage of this style, compared to the column header
> notification, is that the sorting column is well visible when looking
> at any point in the pane. This avoids constantly looking up
> (attentively) at the headers to determine the search criterion.
> Although highlighted column doesn't indicate asc/desc direction, it
> still helps quickly identify the sorting column, and subsequently the
> direction from context (by scanning several elements of the
> highlighted column).
>
> Such a feature can often be found in GTK apps, for example Thunar, gtk
> file chooser, Xarchiver, xfce4-taskmanager, file-roller, etc.
> Please let me know what you think

I would have no problem enabling such thing if it were readily achievable
without onerous obligations upon the application itself.

I've now checked the sources of a couple of the applications you've mentioned,
and can find nothing there which explicitly triggers, or performs, a
colour-change after sort. I've checked gtk code, and suspect that gtk itself
handles it, depending on things like theme, widget-style settings, whether
hinting (banding) is in effect, no. of treeview columns, sorting mechanisms,
and other things which I haven't figured out. All undocumented, of course.

In that case, some unknown combination of factors in e2 would be blocking the
effect.

BTW, can you confirm that your gtk-file-chooser does this colour-change ? Mine
does not.

Also, can you confirm that the colour-changes are (for a given gtk theme) the
same for all of the applications ?