highlight background of sort-by column

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:45:10 +0300

Hello Tom
This was discussed a long time ago, and I was curious if you had a
different view now.

One of the UI features that strikes on first-time use is that all
columns (and lines) have the same background colour. This can be
easily changed for lines by enabling Panes > Style > Banded
background, but it cannot for columns. I am not suggesting to use a
banded background for all columns, but only to highlight the column
used to sort the file list.

The advantage of this style, compared to the column header
notification, is that the sorting column is well visible when looking
at any point in the pane. This avoids constantly looking up
(attentively) at the headers to determine the search criterion.
Although highlighted column doesn't indicate asc/desc direction, it
still helps quickly identify the sorting column, and subsequently the
direction from context (by scanning several elements of the
highlighted column).

Such a feature can often be found in GTK apps, for example Thunar, gtk
file chooser, Xarchiver, xfce4-taskmanager, file-roller, etc.
Please let me know what you think
Liviu