Re: GLIBC problems

  • From: dsyates <dsyates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:25:44 -0400

David Jensen wrote:

dsyates wrote on Sat, 21.08.2004:

emelfm2: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required

by emelfm2)

Ok, there is only one of other thing I can think of that might be causing this problem.Check you Glibc headers.You didn't upgrade glibc did you?I believe that emelfm2 is being built against glibc-2.3.4 but you have a different version installed.Run "ldconfig -V" as root to find out if there is a version mismatch. Possible workaround is to reinstall Glibc-2.3.4.
Is libc.so.6 only found in /lib/tls ? Every distro I've ever used placed it in /lib .

ldconfig -V ldconfig (GNU libc) 2.3.2

also libc6 and lib6c-dev-2.3.2.ds1-16 (which are instaled)are the only deb packages I can find.
I have gcc-3.3 installed, do I need to install gcc-3.4?
Thanks for the unbiased info on gentoo

if emelfm2-0.0.9 is the only version that won't run, disable the threading.

to me it appears to be a gtk+ to glibc mis-match.  e.g.
- emelfm2: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found
- ldconfig (GNU libc) 2.3.2
glib/gtk were built against glibc-2.3.4? but you have 2.3.2?

if you use a new glibc be sure to also update pango, atk, glib and gtk+.

i've used LinuxFromScratch for 5 years or so. i cannot recommend it, but if you have a spare 3 or 4g partition and a couple of weeks to devote, you 'should' end up with a usable installation. the hope is that you learn something, but 'one' can never know it all.

-- David Jensen

I have tried this again after installing gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.4, still no luck. I know have 3 gcc's installed 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4....is there a problem having this many installed? What are the effects of having multiple gcc's installed, if any?

--
David S. Yates
http://lottalinuxlinks.com