Re: Any way to run apps detached from e2?

  • From: tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:26:17 -0400

> I've tried a lot of things and can't seem to find a way to execute apps
> in such a way that they detach from e2. I wrote a simple little script:
> e2_exec which contains:
>
> =====================
> #!/bin/sh
>
> eval exec "$@"&
>
> =====================
>
> This works for $[command-xterm]. That is, if I set:
>
> command-xterm=e2_exec rxvt
>
> then, when I launch $[command-xterm], e2 does not see rxvt as a
> "child" and will quit without complaining of child processes still
> running.
I presume that the child process which ran the script ends quickly. Considering
the comments below, the quick finish seems to be a consequence of what the
script argument is (and possibly because that app. is a terminal).

 Try as I might though, I cannot get it to work for
> applications associated with filetypes when double clicking a file.
>
> For instance, for video files, I would like to call something like:
>
> "e2_exec mplayer %f"
>
> and have mplayer run detached... so that it's not a child of e2, and I
> can quit e2 normally without the "nag dialog" while mplayer is still
> running. :)
Such a script works AFAIK (I minimally tested with opera and a html file), but
in this case the child-process running the script persists until the
argument(s)/application ends - which defeats your purpose.

> I've tried it with the "&" operator, and ">exec e2_exec blah blah&" and
> so on and so forth, but nothing seems to work.
>
> Is there something simple I've overlooked?
No.

On my (very limited) understanding, zombies can be created when child processes
are not properly cleaned up. Hence the warning dialog.

BUT I have once seen an invalid warning about a process that was actually
finished, I'm trying to find how that happened.