Re: Any way to run apps detached from e2?

  • From: "Jonathan A. Irwin" <jnthn_gmane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:52:41 -0400

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:26:17 -0400
tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > I've tried a lot of things and can't seem to find a way to execute
> > apps in such a way that they detach from e2. I wrote a simple
> > little script: e2_exec which contains:
> >
> > =====================
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > eval exec "$@"&
> >
> > =====================
> >
> > This works for $[command-xterm]. That is, if I set:
> >
> > command-xterm=e2_exec rxvt
> >
> > then, when I launch $[command-xterm], e2 does not see rxvt as a
> > "child" and will quit without complaining of child processes still
> > running.
> I presume that the child process which ran the script ends quickly.
> Considering the comments below, the quick finish seems to be a
> consequence of what the script argument is (and possibly because that
> app. is a terminal).

Sounds reasonable, but there must be something in the way that the
command is executed by e2, as well. I just tried it with the gimp, and
find that if I set command-xterm to "e2_exec gimp" and add a context
menu entry:

Test||false|false|$[command-xterm]|%f&

Then gimp will not be seen as a child, and I can quit e2 normally
without the confirmation dialog. Of course, everything has its problems.
If I try it with command-xterm set to "e2_exec mplayer" and play a video
file that way, e2 quits without complaining, but mplayer dies too!

I find that I can also add a normal "context menu" item:

Test||false|false|e2_exec gimp|%f&

And gimp will run "detached," as will mplayer (with the same problem
though... dies when I quit e2).

It's only when I try to add such a command to a "filetype" that I just
can't get it to work.

Oh well... one for the wishlist if I may. I wish that e2 had something
like the bash "exec" feature that allowed background programs to run in
a subshell, detached from the "terminal."

> BUT I have once seen an invalid warning about a process that was
> actually finished, I'm trying to find how that happened.

I see that in 0.1.7, after I have double clicked a file with no
extension. It doesn't happen if I right click and "view" but
for each time e2 does "autodetection" on a double clicked file,
it will "remember" a child process. They aren't in the list. A
command.list_children gets me an empty list. Rather than the usual
"no children" I see a "header" like:

| id |  pid  | command

And e2 will complain of child processes running when I quit.

In any event, I only see that in the official release (0.1.7). I do not
see this behavior in the latest pre-release, (emelfm2-tom-20060621), so
I haven't thought it worth reporting.

ciao,
Jonathan

--