[EMAS] GBBC Gamelands 19th Feb

  • From: "Doug Johnston" <wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "EMAS Sightings" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:52:36 -0500

A rainy morning and a worse forecast resulted in a turnout of 0 for the GBBC bird walk this morning, so Vin Stanton and I had a stroll anyway. See list below. We had a trail walk on Friday in the same area when the weather was better, and picked up a few species not seen today (White crowned sparrow, Black vulture, Phoebe, Red shouldered hawk). Of note both days were the Kestrels, one on Friday and a pair at the same spot today. Also of note was a large Bobcat which crossed the road in front of my car on the way home. I know they are out here, but don't often see them.

Doug Johnston

Sandy Mush Game Land--Cedar Hill Road #3, Buncombe, US-NC
Feb 19, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Low 40's,  rain, 10 mph wind
26 species

Turkey Vulture  22
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Kestrel  2