[EMAS] Owen Park 2/18

  • From: vinstanton@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:31:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

Stopped by Owen Park this morning to see if the Goldeneye was still there (not). I wasn't able to join the group doing the GBBC at Warren Wilson, time was limited
for my stop.

As I was heading around the lake near the fishing pier I noticed, what I thought, was a Kingfisher bathing in the water. As I got closer I could see that the Kingfisher was caught in fishing line. The bird was about 6 - 12 inches from shore. I was able to get hold of the line and gently get the kingfisher on dry land, I put a towel on it to calm it down and to get my foot on terra firma. The line was not digging into its neck and no feathers were pulled out, the line unwrapped easily from its neck and after asking it not to get tangled again :-) I released this lucky kingfisher. It was nice to be able to help this bird out instead of the all to common occurrence of getting there to late.

Vin Stanton
Asheville